Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM) (contd.)

Who gets ADEM, and when?
Although ADEM can appear at any age, children are more likely than adults to develop it. More than 80 percent of childhood cases occur in patients younger than 10 years. Most of the remaining cases occur between the ages of 10 and 20 but ADEM is sometimes (rarely) diagnosed in adults. ADEM is thought to affect 1 in every 125,000 to 250,000 individuals in a given year. Five percent of these cases could be associated with vaccination.
  • ADEM appears a little more frequently in boys than girls (about 60 percent of the time) with a male to female ratio of 1.3 : 1.
  • ADEM appears more often in winter and spring.
  • ADEM occurs in all parts of the world and in all ethnic groups.

How is ADEM different from MS?

  • In most but not all cases, ADEM occurs only once, while patients with MS have further, repeated attacks of inflammation in their brains and spinal cords.
  • In most cases, ADEM patients do not develop new scars on a repeat MRI scan whereas MS patients typically experience new scars on their follow-up MRI scans.
  • Typical symptoms of ADEM such as fever, headache and confusion, vomiting, and seizures are not usually seen in people with MS, although they can be seen in pediatric MS onset especially in patients younger than 11 years.
  • Sometimes the pattern of MRI abnormalities helps differentiate these two disorders.
  • Most patients with MS are treated with ongoing medication to prevent attacks. Patients with ADEM do not require such medication.
  • ADEM occurs more frequently in males; MS more frequently in females.
  • ADEM is more common in children; MS is more common in adults.
  • ADEM occurs more frequently in winter and spring; MS has no seasonal variation.
Join us at the International Conference on #Alzheimers, Dementia and Related #Neurodegenerative Diseases at Madrid, Spain on August 27-28, 2018.. Submit your abstracts via: https://bit.ly/2HlLuhx



Comments

  1. I was having joints pain in both hands inside and outside and muscle weakness due to multiple sclerosis (MS). I was falling a lot, I had headaches and lightheadedness. I couldn’t keep myself balanced, and walk with a tremor like I cannot control my steps. The amantadine hydrochloride (Symmetrel®) and modafinil (Provigil®) did very little to help me. I still didn't feel any better, Since the original diagnosis, My stiffness has slowly increased. October 2017 my brother in-law told us about Natural Herbal Gardens where he ordered herbs that effectively treated his Parkinson’s. We ordered their multiple sclerosis herbal treatment after reading alot of positive reviews, i am happy to report this multiple sclerosis herbal treatment reversed my (MS) condition. My quality of life has greatly improved and every one of my symptoms including muscle weakness and tremors are gone. Their official web official website is ww w. naturalherbalgardens. c om. I can now go about my daily activities, I will be 64 soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

There is mounting evidence that herpes leads to Alzheimers Disease

Alzheimers 2018

15 Things That Slow Down Alzheimer’s Disease